These delightfully chewy caramels are the perfect holiday gift. Made with lots of love, homemade sweets are a great way to checkoff your Christmas list without more holiday shopping. Create them at home with loved ones and it’s sure to be a repeated holiday tradition.
- 1 cup butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sea salt
- In 6 quart stock pot, mix butter, sugar and corn syrup over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and begins to bubble.
- Stir sweetened condensed milk into sugar and butter mixture quickly and continuously with a heat resistant rubber scraper, until mixture reads 245° on candy thermometer (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir quickly, then pour into parchment-lined 9"x13" pan. Cool overnight.
- Lift parchment out onto cutting board. Cut 1" strips then individual pieces. Sprinkle with sea salt. Wrap in wax paper or foil candy paper.
- Prepare pan before you begin. Parchment paper is a must to avoid sticking.
- Candy thermometer is also a must! 245°F is soft caramel…closer to 250° is chewier…any higher and you’re making toffee.
- Stir, stir, stir and don’t stop. Mixture can scorch very quickly.