The pumpkin puree lends a mellow sweetness to this classic baked dish.
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Author: Haggen Northwest Fresh
- ¾ package (12 oz) elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree or your own fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, fresh ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg, finely grated
- 2 cups fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F. In large pot of salted water, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. When butter begins to bubble add the flour, whisking constantly for about 2-3 minutes until mixture is fragrant and light brown.
- Pour in milk and stir until evenly combined and sauce thickens. Add the pumpkin puree, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add ¾ of the cheeses and stir until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix until well coated. Spoon into a prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle parsley over the top.