Baby, it’s cold outside but the desserts are plentiful and the fire is a cracklin.’ Warm up a chilly winter night with a taste of heaven.
Chocolate Peppermint Cake
Recipe by Haggen Market Street Catering Chef Bryan
Author: Haggen Northwest Fresh
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ lbs unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine the chocolate, butter, orange zest and vanilla in the top of a double boiler. Heat the mixture, stirring occasionally, until fully melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing the eggs.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl and whip until double in volume. Fold the egg mixture into the chocolate-butter mixture until well blended.
- Spoon the chocolate batter into a buttered prepared 10” round pan and bake until the cake has puffed up nicely and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out nearly clean, about 25 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, whisk together whipping cream and powdered sugar until thick enough to hold its shape when scooped up. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut the cake into wedges and top each with a generous dollop of the whipped cream. Sprinkle the crushed peppermint candy over and serve.