So simple, yet so flavorful. Use our tart crust recipe or substitute with a pre-made pizza dough (like our Haggen pizza dough in our Deli) for an even quicker option.
Sweet Onion Tart with Gruyère Cheese
Author: Haggen Northwest Fresh
- 2 cups flour
- kosher salt, a pinch
- sugar, a pinch
- 1-1/2 sticks cold butter, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 4 oz)
- 4 small sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced, divided
- 1 tsp chives, minced, divided
- Place flour, salt and sugar in food processor; pulse for a few seconds. Add butter and pulse until pieces are the size of small peas. In a separate bowl combine egg and water. With the processor on, gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough and form into a log. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When you’re ready to make a tart, preheat oven to 375°F. Roll the dough into a 12″x16″ rectangle on parchment paper. Transfer the dough to a cookie sheet. Trim and fold edges.
- Prepare your pastry on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle the pastry with the cheese and half the herbs. Place the onion slices on the cheese and sprinkle with the remaining herbs. Bake for 30–40 minutes.
- Cover edges with foil and broil until golden brown.