Choosing the perfect tree to set the stage for your home’s holiday decor is an important holiday decision that will stick with you all season long. Our guide can help you narrow down the options as you search for the right tree for your family. Christmas trees available at all stores except Fairhaven.
Choose the right tree and keep it fresh
- Measure up: Before you head out make sure you know just what size tree fits in your home. Measure the height of your ceiling and subtract the size of your tree stand. Measure the opening of your tree stand and make sure the size of your tree trunk will fit.
- Freshness Test: Look for a tree with good proportions and even color. Gently grasp a branch and pull it towards you. If the tree is fresh just a few needles should fall off. Pick a few needles and bend them in half. For fir trees each needle should snap. If the needles arch without breaking your fir tree is too dry.
- Cut the trunk: A few hours after the tree is cut, the trunk seals itself and it can’t take in water. Make sure that your tree has a fresh cut once you are home.
- Check water daily: Keep your tree well watered. Trees absorb a lot of water, and this prevents the needles from drying and dropping off, and maintains its fragrance. Don’t let the water fall below the cut end of the trunk or it may seal over, preventing water intake.
- Dark, blue-green in color
- Short, durable needles
- Branches turn slightly upward
- Well-spaced branches allow for lots of ornaments
Grand Fir or Sheared Grand Fir
- Wonderfully fragrant
- Lustrous, extra-long, deep green needles
- Soft to the touch and may not be able to hold heavy ornaments
- Produces a beautiful, thick foliage when sheared
- Blue-green needles
- Superior needle retention
- Superior shape, symmetry and fragrance
- Ideal Christmas tree for ornaments
- Shiny, deep green in color
- Beautifully shaped, great for large ornaments
- Excellent needle retention
- Attractive foliage, soft needles
- Has a longer lifespan than other firs