Break out of the weeknight meal routine with something a bit more outside the shell. Clams and mussels are not only fun to eat, but are also packed with all sorts of nutrients! Fill your belly and lift your spirits with a nice dose of Omega-3 fatty acids, trace minerals, protein and B vitamins—all found in the freshest clams and mussels around.
Penn Cove Shellfish has been harvesting the finest shellfish from the pristine waters around Whidbey Island for over 3 decades, and they deliver their fresh ocean riches to Haggen’s seafood department. Penn Cove Shellfish is the premier producer and provider of the finest sustainably farmed shellfish products on the market today. Their mussels have won top honors at international taste test competitions for their sweet flavor and fabulous texture.
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs savory clams, scrubbed
- 1 lb linguine
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Cook linguine according to package instructions (1 minute short of al dente).
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over moderately high heat, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden. Add wine, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add clams and toss to combine. Cover and cook until clams are open, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove clams from liquid and discard any clams that have not opened. Tent clams with foil.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain pasta and add to pan. Add 1 cup of the pasta liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, tossing occasionally, until pasta is tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add parsley, lemon juice and butter. Toss until butter is melted. Divide pasta among shallow bowls and top with clams.