Forgo the canned stuff and use a freshly roasted pumpkin for all your baking and cooking needs this season. Making your own pumpkin puree is simple and easy, and just requires a little know-how. Follow our how-to guide here, then use your freshly pureed pumpkin in recipes like our Pumpkin Mac & Cheese or Roasted Pumpkin Spiced Stew with Harissa.
1. Place pumpkin on a steady surface. Use a small knife to cut around the stem.
2. Remove lid and scoop out stringy fibers and seeds. Rinse seeds and save for roasting and making pepitas.
3. Roast whole pumpkin without lid in a preheated 350°F oven until fork-tender, 1-2 hours. (You can also cut in half and bake sides-down until fork-tender.)
4. Scrape pumpkin meat from shell and puree in a blender.
5. Strain to remove any stringy pieces.