At only 3 calories a spear, asparagus is a nutrient-dense food that is fiber-packed and rich in protein, vitamins and minerals including Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, folic acid, potassium and manganese. Look for firm stalks, tightly closed tips, and stems that are not dry or split. To store, wrap the stems in a damp paper towel and place in the refrigerator. For the best flavor, asparagus should be eaten within two days of its purchase date.
Since everything good is even better with bacon, this Bacon Wrapped Asparagus recipe is perfect as an appetizer for spring hosting or a side for a main course.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 10-12 slices Hempler’s bacon
- Wash and trim asparagus spears.
- Cut bacon strips in half lengthwise and spiral-wrap bacon around each spear, leaving tip and end exposed.
- To grill, preheat grill to med-high. Place skewers on direct heat until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is crisp, about 15 minutes; halfway through the grilling flip the wrapped asparagus.
- For oven preparation, preheat oven to 400°. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, place spears on cookie sheet and bake in oven until the asparagus is tender and bacon is crisp, about 15 minutes; halfway through the cooking flip the wrapped asparagus.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.