There’s a reason that whole, roasted chicken is a reliable, go-to dish for so many of us. It’s a simple, one-pan entrée that’s convenient, delicious and easy on the pocketbook. Add some fresh, seasonal veggies to the pan and you’ll have a complete meal ready to serve with minimal effort. Keep it interesting by varying the vegetables and seasonings, and it’ll feel fresh and new every time.
Of course, better chicken makes a better meal, so make sure you start with a high-quality, bird from your local Haggen Butcher Shop. The flavor is superb, the meat is juicier, and your go-to weeknight dinner will quickly become a family favorite.
- 1 whole chicken, 4-5 lbs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley or dill, chopped
- Salt and fresh pepper
- 1-1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs diced vegetables like potatoes, carrots, asparagus or onion
- Let chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove giblets from cavity. Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Brush chicken with oil. Sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper over entire chicken. Tie legs with twine and tuck wings beneath the body. Place in a rimmed baking dish.
- Toss vegetables with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place vegetables around chicken. Reduce heat to 350°. Roast for 60 minutes, then insert a thermometer in the breast. When thermometer reads 165°, remove chicken from oven and let sit for 30 minutes prior to serving.